Monday, February 2, 2009

Project 4: Second Bedroom, Part II

During my description of the second bedroom I stated that the next step was closing up the wall. And after procuring three 2X4s and two pieces of drywall, ta-da!



My parents framed the area on Friday afternoon while I was hammering out the bad tiles in the half-bath. They built up the floor in the hole, and then nailed a 2X4 at the base of the hole and another one at the top of the hole. They then placed a 2X4 on either side of the hole, and braced the entire structure with a 2X4 44" up the wall, which will be useful when we can install a towel rack in the room. I neglected to take a picture of the framed up hole, but imagine a wall with a hole the size of a door with pieces of wood along the edges and in the middle.

Friday evening after the French-door handle installation my mother taught me how she removes anchors from a wall. There were 32 anchors in the blue bedroom from the former bookshelves, and two or three other anchors around the room. Using a pair of needlenose pliers we wiggled on the fronts of the anchors until there was an edge to grab, then twisted off the face of the anchor, and finally pushed in the anchor body all the way through until it fell down the back of the wall into the attic. My mom removed the various screws and nails around the room that we had missed when painting the ceiling, and I removed the curtain rods to discover more screws that were painted over underneath, some in pink, others in blue.

The next day I removed the blinds from the window, anticipating that we will be painting this room before too long. My mom, the MUD genius, covered over these holes and other in the room. We have already bought and cut the molding for the baseboard for two of the walls in this room. We will paint the molding, paint the room, and then install the molding. But before we can do any of that, we must finish building up the MUD over the former door hole, prime, and texture the area.

We didn't have a chance to install a new ceiling fan. My parents still had the ceiling fan from my old childhood room. It's a white Hunter ceiling fan. Perhaps if we've been able to paint the room by the next time my parents visit we can install the fan and the faux wood blinds found in the attic. The blinds are cut to fit these windows perfectly. It's perhaps best that McVicker never found the time to replace these blinds, as he probably wouldn't have bothered to fill in the holes from the old blinds, or even repaint the room something less blue and glossy.

In my first post about the bedroom I mentioned that there were gray paint spots on the window ledges. Here they are in all their ugly glory:

No comments:

Post a Comment