Saturday, March 21, 2009

Project 3: Herb Spiral, Part III

The construction of the herb spiral was completed in January, but since the initial work I've added some plants:

  • Planted a sage plant a month ago - bought from Lowe's




  • Two weeks ago began growing lavender, dill, and jalapeno pepper seeds indoors. On Saturday N and I transplanted the tiny dill plants into the herb spiral.








  • Replanted my Mexican marigold plant into the top of the spiral. Last year this plant got to be very tall with lots of flowers. I'm hoping for the same effect this year as well. This plant had suffered from neglect after the move, and I had abandoned it before Christmas. But about two weeks ago I noticed that it had started growing anew, and I admire determination.




  • When removing the marigold from its pot, I discovered that my dill plant from last summer had come back! This plant died sometime in August and had never even made it to the house. Herbs continue to amaze me - I just can't seem to kill them! I removed the dill plant from its pot, and placed it next to the new dill spouts in the spiral. I will probably have to thin this area in the next month, but I want to see how well things do - because everything could die.




  • Well, the exception to the "I can't kill plants" rule would be cilantro. I've killed it twice - once three summers ago, and again last summer. But, since the spiral seems to manage itself well (and I don't need to water it), why not try again?






Herb spiral from far away:





I love spring!

1 comment:

  1. you should have lots of good eating with all of your herbs in the coming months!

    ReplyDelete